When you pick up a new prescription at the pharmacy, do you stop and talk with your pharmacist? Maybe you’re in a hurry or don’t know what questions to ask, but turning down the chance to speak with your pharmacist means you’re missing an important healthcare opportunity.
It often takes a team of professionals to provide us with the health and wellness support we need. Your pharmacist can be a key member of that team. Pharmacists have specialised university degrees and advanced knowledge about prescription and over-the-counter medications. And when you choose a pharmacist you trust and feel comfortable talking with, you can turn to him or her with any of your medication questions.
Wondering how your pharmacist can help you? Your pharmacist can:
- Answer questions about the many nonprescription drug choices lining pharmacy shelves
- Give you professional advice on everything you need to know about the medication you’ve been prescribed
- Make sure your prescription and nonprescription medications don’t interact
- Provide a record of all the prescription medications you’re taking. This is important when completing your health journal. It’s also helpful if you ever need to find a new pharmacist
- Provide you with ongoing follow-up care
- Teach you about your prescribed medications, including possible drug interactions and side effects
- Advise you on how best to store medications. Surprisingly, your bathroom medicine cabinet may not be the best place. That’s because moist, warm conditions can cause drugs to break down faster than usual
- Tell you about other health and wellness services that can help you prevent and treat illnesses
- Monitor your treatment and talk with your doctor about adjusting or discontinuing it as needed